Baylie has been taking violin for over a year now and what a journey it has been. I think it's safe to say that Darrin and I are not very musically inclined. I can plunk out a few songs on the piano, Darrin used to strum a few primary hymns on the guitar, and we both like to dance and run to music, but that's about as far as it goes for us.
When I signed Baylie up for violin, with Paige Storheim; I was told, she will be expected to practice 5-6 days a week (not that unusual) and that I, as the mother would have to read a few books on the Suzuki method, and sit through every lesson while taking notes, I would also have to sit with her
everyday during practice to follow the notes I took at lesson, (okay now we are getting a little intense). When I heard the cost of the violin we were expected to purchase, my jaw dropped, it was then that I knew we were over our heads. Not because of the price, I just realized we had entered a world that I wasn't sure really existed, and after 6 months, I wasn't really sure I wanted to be apart of it. There were tears, fits, moaning, whining, hiding games and more, most from Baylie but some even from me (especially the whining!). So what changed? Well, probably several things but the main thing was the potential that I started to see in Baylie, the fact that she could actually remember where to put her little fingers and when, all in time to certain beats was astounding to witness. It felt like she was actually starting to play things. After 8 months she passed off her twinkles!! This really only means something when you have a really dedicated teacher and you are doing the Suzuki method, but long months short, it was a major accomplishment. Her passing those off got me through a good 2 weeks of lessons without one little whine.
So a year later where are we? Baylie has played at two public concerts with her studio (pics above) and countless solo recitals for pretty much any family or friends that come to our home and care to listen. I am really beginning to like the idea of becoming a musical family, especially if Darrin and I are just required to dance and run!
No comments:
Post a Comment