Sunday, May 18, 2008

Race Day

Some would think running a 5k is no big deal, and for a lot it's not. But for us it is. I was talking to Big D about blogging this, and how I felt a little dumb because alot of my friends run much farther, and they do it weekly. He said, "When was the last time you competed in something physical?" I thought about that and really the 5k is the most serious competition I have done for awhile. As I write this I realize that I am totally giving you the wrong idea from using the words compete. For me, this race was really just to do it, there really was no competing! I had 1 and only goal and that was to not ever stop running for the entire 3.2 miles (I put this in here just in case you don't know how far a 5k is). I am happy to say that I did achieve my goal. I got lucky because there were many things I wanted to stop for but I didn't. I didn't even have to tie my shoelaces, which is a miracle.


I do have to boast on my husbands behalf, because he had prepared for this race. For the past year he has been running daily (minus Sundays) and has worked up to 5 miles. Last year he ran a 5k in 30 minutes and this year, we had kind of decided that he would run with me. As the race began, he couldn't be stopped, he didn't start out so fast, or maybe I just slowed, but either way, I was left in his dust (no big deal, because my goal was met.) He came in with a much improved time this year of... 26 minutes and 5 seconds. My time was 27 minutes and 30 seconds

Overall it was a great experience and it was fun to "Compete" physically again!



3 comments:

Deb's Big Hunk said...

You guys are freakin' stud muffins! Way to go big D for running up to 5 miles. I was able to do that at one time in my life. Nice times too!
R

Deb's Big Hunk said...

And one more comment... Go Pro-Keds!!

Babbel Family said...

Good job! I am impressed!