Tuesday, March 27, 2012

MY girl on the run

When I first heard of the program Girls on the run, I thought it was great. They empower young girls, by sharing with them positive messages that they can incorporate into their self-esteem. They talk of good nutrition and what it means to be "healthy". Last but certainly not least they run. The teach them to keep their thoughts positive while they do this, but to also encourage those around you to do their best too.
A girl can join when she is in 3rd grade. I wondered if Jaya would decide to do it or not, and she has. She meets twice a week, and has the training and instruction explained above. At the end of the year they will run a 5k which even the parents are encouraged to participate in.
So far she is loving it. The last picture is her showing one of "energy awards" which is making a "w" with your fingers and saying "wow" to those that deserve the award. Pretty good stuff, we (as adults) can learn alot from our children.






2 comments:

Big D said...

Can I just say that I love the Velcro!

Chad, Mindy and girls said...

Yay for Jaya!!