Saturday, June 7, 2008

Bruiser

The other night we were sitting around talking as a family. Eden was sitting on my lap, lunging forward then sitting back, lunging forward then sitting back, over and over again. I was holding onto her shirt as she was doing this. I am not quite sure what happened next, but all I know is she lunged forward and never came back. Instead she literally jumped headfirst into the coffee table. I looked right as she hit and fell to the floor. I was sure she had smacked the corner of the coffee table right in her mouth, therefore I was too afraid to pick her up, I didn't want to see little baby teeth and blood everywhere. Darrin ran over picked her up and rushed into the kitchen, asking "why didn't you pick her up?" I told him I was too scared to see (now guilt stricken). I asked if there was blood everywhere, and Darrin came out and said "I don't see any.' I instantly saw where she hit. She had a large bump across the bridge of her nose. Which as you can see has turned into a bruise creeping into the corners of her eyes. She was a trooper though, she let me hold an ice-pack on it, which helped a ton.




This whole event has lead me to wonder why didn't I pick her up? I keep telling myself I definitely would have if Darrin wasn't at home, but maybe I'm just saying that to make me feel better. I have realized I don't like to see blood, at least not lots of it. So even if I think there will be lots of blood, I don't want to look. Good thing I was never a doctor, and good thing my kids don't get more seriously hurt or they may just stay there till dad gets home!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I totally understand where you were coming from. If Richard is around, I let him deal with all the "owies". I just can't stand seeing my kids hurt. I may be a nurse, but I'm a Mom first.